Business Analysis Courses
Business Data Modelling course
Master the fundamentals of Business Data Modelling in this interactive and engaging course.
This business data modelling training course explores business rules, policies and procedures and how they can be modeled effectively. Participants will learn entity relationship diagramming, super and sub-types, attributive and associative entities, and documenting data constraints. The course's logical data modeling approaches focus on the important requirements of the business that are discovered through significant user involvement during the analysis phase. You will also learn how to create models without being limited by technology or organisational structure.
The ability to communicate the intersection of business processes and information/data needs is key to the success of any software development project. Understanding and explaining user needs is a major challenge and opportunity for the business analyst. The business analyst who understands structured modelling has a distinct advantage in addressing and communicating requirements. And the use of models can greatly increase all stakeholders’ understanding of the relevancy of business rules and data management requirements to the project at hand.
Reminder: Prior to taking this course, we recommend that you have acquired the background as taught in Eliciting and Managing Requirements. This course is aligned with version 3.0 of A Guide to the Business Analysis Body of Knowledge® (BABOK® Guide)™.
Is this course for me?
Those who perform the function of business analysis (BA), utilising elicitation and analysis methods to document and communicate data requirements; less-seasoned data architects; and business SMEs and system analysts who are transitioning into BA work will benefit from this course.
What will I learn?
- Explain how a lack of effective data analysis and usage can affect the risk exposure, cost control, and profitability of your organization
- Explain the role of the business analyst in gathering data-related requirements from stakeholders
- Create, communicate, and validate conceptual data models with your business stakeholders
- Create normalized logical data models as a hand-off to solution delivery
What is included in the price?
Pre-course assessment tools
Food and Refreshments
Post course reinforcement training
Online tools and templates
Does this course help me towards certification/accreditation?
Take this course is you aim to achieve any of the following certification:
What topics will be covered in the course?
Business Data and Governance
- Data Governance
- Data Management Functions
- Data Governance vs. IT Governance
- Data Management Roles
- Business Analysis and Data Management
- The Value of Data to the Organization
- Data Management and Risk
- Data, Costs, and Revenue
- Data Quality
Conceptual Data Models
- System development challenges
- Data requirements
- Models and modeling
- Data, information and knowledge
- Naming standards for relationships
- Relationship cardinalities
- Relationships affected by time
- Modeling time-dependent data
- The importance of definitions
- Alternative notations
Logical Data Models
- Entity types
- Attributive entities and multivalued attributes
Applying Logical Data Models
- Associative entities
- Data constraints
- Using logical data models
- Analysis of organizational and geographical data distribution
- Supporting the organizational data standards
- Software acquisition
- Normalization and forms
- The physical data model
- Reverse engineering
- The database designer
Verifying and Validating Data Models
- Internal verification
- Presenting data diagrams
- Dos and don'ts of presenting data diagrams
Business Data Modeling Workshop
- Put what has been learned into practice
Available as customised in-house training
Let us bring our classes to you! Our in-house training are ideal for groups of 10 or more people. We can provide Off-the-shelf training in the form of our classic courses, or we can provide bespoke training, tailored to your organisational goals and objectives. Find out more here.
Why choose us?
What sets us apart from many other training companies is that we guide you through your entire learning journey. We work together with you to assess your skills gap, map out your individual learning path and offer you the resources to then help you reinforce and adopt new tools and techniques learnt from your training and apply them to your daily work. Find out more.